Thursday, August 9, 2007

Just an update to say I'm alive and well



Much to write and not nearly enough time, but I am A.O.K. Communication is far from easy or reliable, and this is my first moment on a computer since my last post. Loads to come when I have some time, but it is 11pm here, and breakfast is at 6:30am. I just came from the "pub" (some walls forming a few rooms/areas and some make-shift roofing) where there was a fantastic show put on for us with traditional African drumming and dancing. Dad, you would have loved it. Said, the owner of the place, knew an opportunity when he saw one and put up shop just outside the CCS home-base compound. It's a convenient place for volunteers to hang out and grab a drink (beer, soda, etc), a dozen steps outside the gate. As far as general living conditions, it is no Hilton Garden Inn but it's really not all that bad. I'm adjusting, although I wish I had more warm clothes as it's been pretty cold at night. I think I've had only one hot shower. The hot water comes and goes. To conserve water because there is a shortage, we use a big bucket with a smaller bucket...you can use your imagination. Let's just say baby wipes are my great friends right now, and I wish I'd brought twice as many. Electricity is also iffy and goes out now and then but not usually for long. The food has been very good, a lot of vegetables, rice, and homemade bread. Some occasional chicken and we ate some sort of meat the other night which we were guessing was goat, and it was pretty tasty but lots of tiny pieces of bone made it a little difficult to eat. We are in Tengeru Village, about a 15-minute cab ride from Arusha. Next time I'll write more about the village and soon also about my placement at Kitumusote with Kesuma, the leader of the organization who is a Maasai warrior and an extraordinary individual as I'm sure you will agree once I've shared more about him. Until then, Kitumusote's website is www.kitumusote.org if you'd like to see what it's all about. This weekend I'm doing an overnight Maasai Cultural Safari with a few other volunteers, which is one of Kesuma's income-generating activities for his organization and which is very popular among CCS volunteers. This was a must for me even before I knew my placement, so I am extremely excited. I hope to get caught up later this weekend with more details of this incredible journey so far. Hope all is well with everyone at home.

1 comment:

MP said...

I am so jealous! I would love to see the traditional African drumming and dancing... maybe they can teach you some moves! I enjoy reading your posts and have complete faith that you'll NOT lose your camera- I can't wait to see the pics.
Misty P