Thursday, August 2, 2007

Departure Day

I am Tanzania-bound today... The support from everyone has been overwhelming, from family to friends to colleagues to people I don't even know. Incredible. I thank all of you for fueling my enthusiasm. The only thing I'm nervous about is forgetting something, which is no stretch. I'm effortfully converting scatter-brained Amanda into organized and prepared Amanda, if only temporarily. Has to be done. It's for a good cause.

My volunteer placement is at Kitumusote Maasai NGO. Their mission is to ensure the sustainability of the Maasai people's way of life through facilitating women's empowerment and educational opportunities, conserving indigenous resources, and creating environmental awareness. I'm thrilled with this assignment. I re-read "The Worlds of a Maasai Warrior" by Tepilit Ole Saitoti to acquaint myself with the Maasai culture. In short, it's the autobiographical story of a Maasai boy who becomes educated at Harvard among other institutions, and returns to his family. I read it in college and find it just as fascinating now as I did then, only this time I get to make a personal connection with that culture.

Here's the hotel in Arusha where I'll stay tomorrow night before going to the volunteer home base Saturday. http://www.chez.com/jacaranda/ Something about it appealed to me. Not sure if I should be concerned about what is (or isn't) outside the frame of the bathroom photo, but I'm pleased to see toilet paper.

Thank you again, and off I go...

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Good luck, let us know how the first night goes. Can't wait to hear about your incredible experience.
Audrey

Jaimie said...

Safe & Happy Travels! Don't forget to close your mosquito netting, and if it were me I'd probably thieve the TP if you think it's the last you'll see.

Jaimie

Mom said...

Amanda,

We love you and are proud of you. Please be as careful as you can be.

Love,
Mom and Dad

Chuck Higdon said...

Amanda,
well you got away yesterday and your suitcase is safely stored at my house. You were going to Amsterdam and then on to Tanzania -- A difficult start - my hope for you for these first days:
you have a good book to read and sit next to thin people on the plane

Good luck!

Chuck Higdon

bro said...

i have to comment right?...the over/under for her return home with her new camera is 9:1 right now, if you want to take your wager a step further, 7:1 odds it is stolen by unruly hooligans and 2:1 it is left in a coffee shop... anyone want some action?

Dad said...

Well, Manda Jo Bob, I just only learned now that this here blog thing is going on. Pretty cool. Nice to hear your regular updates. Do you do this from a PC/laptop in your room? Bro' as far as the camera, I'll take $5 that Mando retains the camera the whole trip. That is with the understanding that it doesn't count if it gets stepped on by a elephant.