Saturday, August 4, 2007

First visit to Arusha


After a safe and smooth journey, I made it to Tanzania last night. I was greeted extremely warmly at the airport by CCS staff, who came to pick me up along with other volunteers who arrived on my flight. They had my room ready for me at the home-base so I did not stay at the Jacaranda Hotel as planned. A few of us ventured into Arusha town today which is about a 20-minute ride from Tengeru Village where the home base is. We took the dalla-dalla, which is essentially a smelly, overcrowded van. It's 400 Tanzanian shillings, which is about $0.40. They pack them so full that people are sometimes on top of each other, literally. We said no thanks to about the first 6 that stopped because they were so full, though they would gladly have squeezed us in. We've walked around town a little and have already learned to constantly say no and keep walking past the scores of guys trying to sell various souvenirs, who will follow you for blocks if you seem remotely interested. I just stopped by the Jacaranda to settle up since I had been a no-show and they had been very friendly and helpful when I booked my room. The girl at the reception desk just sent me on my way, although I'd offered to pay a penalty for being a no-show. And then I met a Maasai for the first time, a young man in traditional Maasai garb. He came to chase us down as we were leaving, apparently because the boss had heard I was there and wanted that penalty fee, but he spoke no English and we couldn't understand what he was saying and just kept on our way. Another guy, who sells his paintings in a hut outside the hotel, then came and explained and we realized the Maasai man was working there as a bell-boy. I apologized, chatted with them for a while, paid, and now we are heading back to the home-base. Till next time...

9 comments:

Mom said...

Amanda,

I was so happy to hear your voice. Also, glad your flight was smooth riding. Please keep in touch. Miss you.

Love,
Mom and Dad

Bethann said...

Amanda,

We are really excited that you made it there safely. It's great to read about your experiences... we look forward to your continued sharing!!

Love you tons,

NC Rohalys

Chris said...

Hi Amanda,
I see that you are already causing havoc for the locals :). Don't they speak any English? I am proud of you. Be careful-our youth pastor just got back and he somehow got a parasite. Be careful what you eat and drink.

Luv ya
Aunt Chris

Unknown said...

Hi Amanda -

Glad to hear that you made it there. You trip already sounds like a lot of fun - definately full of adventure.

Be safe,
Zenobia

Jaimie said...

Sounds like an eventful first day. The bus ride makes me want to go home right now and shower for you. Been there and I'm sure you weren't smelling any Irish Springs.:) Have fun! Looking forward to the next posting.

Teri S. said...

It sounds like your adventure started out with an adventure! I'll look forward to the next installment. Have fun!

Uncle Whoopy said...

So.....

Is the bell hop cute?

Bringing him to the reunion?

Does he golf?

Unknown said...

Amanda,

Wow, what a great adventure you are taking on. I am so proud when I tell people about what you are doing.
Be safe, have fun and remember don't stand up in the jeep.

Love ya
Larry

Mom said...

Hi Mand,
As usual, I'm happy to hear from you. (I'm allowed to worry)
Your adventure sounds exciting, and what stories to hear and pictures to see.
By the way, what does this guy wear?
You will appreciate your comforts of home far more than ever.

Miss you,
Mom