Saturday, November 10, 2007

Printing success, learning more about friends in Arusha

On Weds 8/22 Kesuma was back from his trip to Dar. Having been trying for days to print some brochures for him, he had his friend Lekishon accompany me into town to a particular internet cafe with reliable service. Lekishon and his brother Samwel, both Maasai warriors, are taking classes to be tour guides and conduct Maasai Cultural Safaris for Kitumusote when Kesuma is unavailable. Several of my fellow volunteers went with them while Kesuma was in Dar. Everyone was bummed when they first learned that Kesuma wouldn't be there, but they were thrilled with Lekishon and Samwel and had as wonderful and experience as we'd had. Lekishon was so patient and helpful while I took forever to print stuff, and I finally realized that he would have sat right there for hours if I didn't tell him he could go. I assured him I'd be fine and could get back to the village myself.

Later that evening, a couple of us went to Said's to have a couple beers. I spent a good amount of time talking with Temba and learned that he had taken a little girl at the orphanage to the hospital a few times when she had fallen ill. He apparently had just developed somewhat of an affection for this child and had taken it upon himself to help her. I also learned that he and Elly hope to eventually build a school in the community for some of the more poor children. This is one of the reasons they hope to continue to build a successful safari business. He talked affectionately about his mom also, and told a story about having given her some money just to help out and then having visited soon thereafter and she had bought some cookies for him. He just could not get over how sweet she was for it. We talked about Africa and the problems there. He asked me if, after having been there, I thought they were poor. I said that they are financially needy but that their personal, warm way and their ability to enjoy life are some things that many "rich" Americans don't have. I told him it seemed to me that a lot of benefit could come from simply learning about management, particularly of resources. I told him that everything can be considered a business to a point from a safari company to a school to an orphanage, and every such organization or entity has management needs. He seemed to find this an interesting perspective, and I told him that I thought he, in particular, had some business savvy. I encouraged him to look into further education, and I know from talking to him via email since coming home that he has. I hope to try to help him do some research and to hopefully find some quality education opportunities. He's got a lot of potential, and his personality and integrity enhance that to a great degree.

I also spent time talking to Edwin that night, who was one of the CCS-recommended taxi drivers. He's sort of a quiet, reserved guy who I found instantly likeable. He is from Dar and I'd be going there for a couple days alone so I wanted to get some info and suggestions. He talked about how helpful he'd found it being around CCS volunteers, learning English from them and making friends. A past volunteer he'd become friends and stayed in touch with wanted to help him come to Canada or the U.S. to take some classes and get a job driving a big rig to earn some decent money to bring back to his family. Edwin is single and has no kids but worries about his mother, who is in her 50's and has younger children and works very hard to make ends meet. He applied for a Visa with the Tanzanian government, which costs $100, no meager amount. When he was interviewed, they asked him why a single guy with no kids would go to America and still return to Tanzania. He replied that it was his home and where his family and friends are and that he had every intention of returning. He was rejected and has not left Tanzania.

To meet so many individuals with good intentions and good character and so little opportunity was frustrating. I'd find myself in so many conversations thinking "maybe I can help her", "what could I do for him"... I also started to realize that the ripple effect of volunteerism is really just as valuable as the volunteer work itself. To help practice English, make friends, and meet people who inspire you and who you might be able to help in some small way are all positive effects of just being present and having the desire to be as much a part of the community as possible. Thompson's story, which I'll share later, is one of the best examples of this that I came across in Africa.

No comments: