Sunday, September 2, 2007

My last day in Africa

I have some other things I want to write about later about the rest of my time here, but I wanted to post one today as I'm about depart in a matter of hours. I'm in Dar Es Salaam now and have been here since Fri evening. I came here after 6 days in Zanzibar. I've actually been a tourist for the last week and not a semi-resident as I came to feel like in Arusha. I think because of that and because I'm less familiar and comfortable with my surroundings here I'm feeling a little overwhelmed and annoyed by constantly being approached as though I'm a walking dollar bill. I like to think that in Arusha I made some friends who came to value my friendship and not just my potential dollar value. Nonetheless, I have to remind myself that everyone is just looking for an opportunity, and I represent that here.

I hope the tiny bit of work I was able to accomplish in Arusha will have helped in some way. I hope that every English conversation I had with someone enhanced their skills a little. I hope that some of the views I shared in those conversations made some sort of an impact as did the ones that were shared with me. I hope the stories I have to share with everyone at home will convey at least a fraction of what I've experienced here and maybe inspire others to go outside their comfort zones and seek a similar kind of exchange.

It's funny how far away this place seemed before I came and now it doesn't. I'm looking forward to coming home and seeing everyone, and if and when I see you I apologize in advance for going on and on... I'll be like the person who wants to show you pictures of their dogs and kids you don't care to see. Humor me. I'm anxious to see what it feels like to be home again. Might feel weird, might not. Right now I'm pretending I have no job because the thought of work is more than I care to deal with right now (sorry any bosses reading this).

Thank you all so much for reading and for letting me know you did and that you enjoyed it. Sorry for the length and thanks for bearing with me. I didn't want to forget anything. Pictures will come after I'm home. See you all soon!

No comments: